Thursday, January 5, 2012

"I'm Tired of this Road"


Jillian and I left Tuesday afternoon for her scheduled appointment at U of M. Since her appointments are usually scheduled early in the morning, we head out the day before and spend the night in a hotel. Jillian drove this time since Drew, Jillian's step-dad, and Steve, were going on ahead of us after making a stop in Ohio. This left Jillian and me on our own for the evening (I just hate that alone time ya know).As we are driving down I-94, Jillian said, "I'm tired of this road". Thinking about the potholes and poor road conditions, in my daze I replied, "Yeah, the road needs work".

Jillian looked straight ahead and said, "No, I'm just tired of going down this road." Oh, I could have said a number of things in reply....all the positive, upbeat, inspirational things we hear every day. But sometimes, you just don't need to hear them. Sometimes, your just plain sick of going down this road.  Sick of driving to U of M. Sick of Dr. appointments. Sick of the radiation, sick of the infusions, sick of the blood work, sick of the scans. Sick of the hair loss, sick of being tired. Sick of seeing my daughter having to go through this on a daily basis. Sick, Sick, Sick of this road!! And that's okay. It is all okay. So I replied, "Yeah....me too".

We had a nice evening together after manicures, pizza in our room, a movie and a lots of back rubs/leg rubs/foot rubs/hand rubs. In spite of the road that got us here, we can still enjoy those simple moments. Those priceless moments that I will never again take for granted. The time spent with my family has never been sweeter.

Peace,
Sue

3 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, I hear ya! We can try as hard as we can to be positive and upbeat but sometimes this road just stinks :(

    Prayers and Hugs,
    Danae

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO, SO SORRY. YOUR RIGHT! IT'S A SHITTY ROAD!
    BUT YOU DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

    ReplyDelete