Friday, January 27, 2012

All Grown Up

“What are you going to be when you grow up Susie”?

“I’m going to be an advocate for melanoma awareness, and try to get people to learn more about the dangers of the sun, and tanning”.

You what?? Never in a hundred years would I have thought that this is where I would be at the age of 52. If I would have heard those words even five years ago, I would have rolled my eyes, and compared that statement to a tree hugger. Not that tree huggers are bad mind you, but I would have been so wrapped up in my own sheltered world, that I couldn’t have imagined the passion required to have those types of goals.

All that changed on September 23, 2010 when Jillian was first diagnosed with Stage IV melanoma. I think we all grew up that day. Me, my four kids, my husband. We have all been faced with a challenge of a lifetime, each in our own way. None of us are the same. But we are all doing well, going about the business of life. And we have the passion.

So I’ve discovered what I’m going to be doing now that I’m all grown up. I will never, ever stop trying to raise melanoma awareness. I will shout Jillian’s story from the roof tops if that is what it takes.

Thank you to everyone whom I’ve met this last year. Thank you for your love, your prayers, your guidance, and your never ending support. Together we WILL make a difference. I know it.

Peace,
Sue

P.S. I now hug trees too. 

6 comments:

  1. I love you and I don't even know you...And I love Jillian too, and all your family. No one should suffer such pain. Thank you for opening yourself and your family to the world. Your strenth and love is such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Valerie! I love you right back! I am touched that you've left such a loving comment. <3

      Delete
  2. I DO know you and I love you;) Walkin' with you, sister...j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me sweet friend, and you know a mother's heart. I love you, and thank you for holding my hand as we walk together.

      Delete
  3. Sue and Jillian,
    I pray for you everyday. I am watching my father-in-law go through this and it's so awful.When is your walk. I will send donation. I know about those walks and fundraising as my daughter has Juvenile Diabetes and we have a walk for the cure every year.
    God's blessings to you.

    Tammy Tompsett Bidwell.

    P.S. Sue- I think we knew each other once upon a time. Did you wok at Ponderosa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy,

      Thank you for your prayers, it means so much to me. :) I"m sorry about your father in law. He has melanoma? I'm sorry about your daughter too, and I will pray for your family. I'm not sure if you are on facebook, but if you'd like to look me up, I'd love to keep in touch!
      WOW! Ponderosa was my first job, and I loved working there. Remember Debbie? I think I know who you are, and I'm looking forward to keeping in touch. Thank you for reaching out! Hugs, Sue

      Delete